At Our Lady's we use the Read Write Inc. (RWI) programme to get children off to a flying start with their literacy. This is led by Miss Briscoe.
RWI is a method of learning centred round letter sounds and phonics, and we use it to aid children in their reading and writing.
Reading opens the door to learning. A child who reads a lot will become a good reader. A good reader will be able to read more challenging material. A child who reads challenging material is a child who will learn. The more a child learns, the more he or she will want to find out.
Using RWI, the children learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into comprehending what they read.
During RWI session children:
- Learn to read and write the 44 sounds and the corresponding letters/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- Learn to read words using sound blending
- Learn to write words by saying the sounds and graphemes
- Read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
- Show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions about them
Why does RWI work?
- The systematic and lively programme.
- All staff (teachers and assistants) are trained to help children succeed.
- The children are grouped according to their reading level.
- Children do not struggle because the work is too difficult or get bored because the work is too easy.
In Foundation Stage and at KS1 the children reinforce their reading at home by taking books from the RWI Programme or from Oxford Reading Tree reading scheme.
Click Here for a guide to the sentences we use to help children recall and remember the sounds they are learning.
Click on the video's below for more Read Write Inc. information.
Useful phonics websites
Here are a few websites that you might like to explore with your child:
Phoneme pop! - the sounds/letters drift by on bubbles and your child has to pop the matching sound!
Letters and sounds initial sound game - this game lets your child reveal a sound/letter and then try to find the picture that starts with the same sound.
Phonics play - there are several free games to play that will help your child with their blending and segmenting.
Teach your monster to read - create an account for your child to practise/learn reading skills through a fun game.